Serious implications for people’s health, COVID-19 (coronavirus) is significantly impacting businesses and the economy.
Impacts to business
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought fast-moving and unexpected variables, some of which existing crisis plans and teams weren’t prepared to handle. Many companies successfully have to develop incident management plans specific to this crisis and resume the business.
What is COVID-19?
- COVID-19 is a disease caused by a new type of coronavirus.
- The COVID-19 is linked to the same family of viruses as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and some types of common cold.
- COVID-19 is very contagious and each person with COVID-19 can spread to 2 others statistically
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- Most common symptoms:
Fever, dry cough, tiredness
- Less common symptoms:
Aches and pains, sore throat, diarrhea, conjunctivitis. Headache, loss of taste or smell, a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes
- Serious symptoms:
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Chest pain or pressure, loss of speech or movement
How does COVID-19 spread?
- The virus is transmitted through direct contact with respiratory droplets of an infected person (generated through coughing and sneezing). Therefore it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.
- Individuals can also be infected from and touching surfaces contaminated with the virus and touching their face (e.g., eyes, nose, mouth).
- The COVID-19 virus may survive on surfaces for several hours, but simple disinfectants can kill it.
What is the treatment for COVID-19?
- There is no treatment available to date for COVID-19. The treatment of COVID-19 depends on enhancing the immunity level of patients, treating the symptoms and easing complications.
- There are several clinical trials that are being conducted to evaluate potential therapeutics for COVID-19.
Who is most at risk?
Older people, and people with chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease, appear to be more at risk of developing severe symptoms.
As this is a new virus, we are still learning about how it affects children and other vulnerable groups. We know it is possible for people of any age to be infected with the virus, but so far there are relatively few cases of COVID-19 reported among children and its continue to increase across the globe.
The virus can be fatal in rare cases especially among older people with pre-existing medical conditions.
How? How? How?
- How to identify sick people and other staff come to premises as Covid-19 can be asymptomatic or minor symptoms
- How to assure people to adhere on safety precautions all the time when they are at premises like wearing masks, gloves, sanitizing hands etc.
- How do I provide sanitation and waste management facilities and follow environmental cleaning and decontamination procedures
- How do I promote social distancing (a term applied to certain actions that are taken to slow down the spread of a highly contagious disease, including limiting large groups of people coming together)
- How do I monitor, control and prevent ??? ensuring smooth business operations and also ensuring safety and health in a sustainable way.